Saturday, January 19, 2008

Abstaining from the right to vote!!


I am 20 years of age. It means I am legally an adult now, how much ever my parents want to disagree with that fact. It means I can have a driving license, can drink alcohol(I don't) and run away from home if I feel like(I won't). It also gives me the right to vote meaning I have the power to elect my own leader, one who I think is worthy of running this country. But, like hundreds of thousand of others, I too have decided to abstain from using this civil right of mine.

Why? No, it's not because I don't want to stand in a queue under the hot sun waiting for hours just to punch in a button. Though I must admit that the idea is very unappealing and one of the many things wrong with the election commission of India and the rest of the world. While our so called leaders wait coolly for the results sitting in ac rooms, we, the people who elect them have to go through physical torture so that they can exploit us. Nope, simply not done.

But even if we were to ignore that fact, there is another and a much more solid reason why I have chosen not to exercise my right to vote. The right to vote gives us the power to elect our own leader or as I have said earlier, a person whom we think capable of guiding our beloved India to glorious heights and giving us Indians a nation we can really be proud of. Don't get me wrong. I am proud to be an Indian. I love this country and am as much patriotic as any Indian should be. Yet, it is this patriotism itself, this love that I have for my country that compells me to abstain from using a right that I once regarded as the recognition of an independent country.

I will not vote because I donot trust a single politician today. Whether it be L K Advani or Sonia Gandhi, each one of them has so many allegations attached to them that it's become impossible for me to have faith in any of them. Should I vote for a party whose leader was allegedly behind the demolishing of Babri Masjid and who openly claims that one religion has a higher standing over all others? Or should I vote for someone who doesnot belong to our country but claims to have fallen in love with it? I grew up in a foreign country and though I too fell in love with it so much so that I still call it 'home', the truth is my love for India far exceeds my love for a country which was my home for 12 years. Because at the end of the day, this is the country where my heritage lies. This is the country which is my land of birth, this is the country whose language I speak and this is the country whose people I call 'my people.' This is my country. And if I feel this way, then how can I be sure that a certain lady doesn't?

Should I vote for a man who has more corruption charges against him than the number of days in a year? Or should I vote for a man who supposedly used the coffins of our soldiers who died in battle for his own benefit and purpose? Wherever I turn, almost every leader of ours has one or the other allegation against him. I don't know whether these allegations are true or not. And I am fully aware of the rule in our law books saying 'innocent unless pronounced guilty.' Yet my conscience asks me-what if they are guilty? Should they be allowed to run our country while they are still awaiting trial and could be hauled off to jail any time? Should I vote for a man who might or might not have exploited the resources of our country for his own personal gain?

Yes, I am fully aware that the blame game is a part of politics. But then it begs the question-what kind of leaders do we have who are interested in bringing each other down in any way possible rather than help in the development of the country? They say that voting is a compulsory right and those who don't cast ther votes do not love their country. Yet I beleive that it is because we love our country that we should not vote. For until and unless we can trust a leader and have full faith in him, why should we vote?I can tell you that I have lost faith in our democratic system long ago. Instead of electing a leader, we elect a party. And it's the party who decides which of their men are best suited to be leading this country. Also, until and unless a poltician is cleared of all the charges levelled against him in a court of law, I donot beleive he should be allowed to run for candidacy.

With so many things wrong with our political set up, how do they expect me or any of us for that matter, to have faith in even one of those men in white kurta? How do they expect me to trust even one of them to lead our country to glory or even to lead our country at all? The simple truth is I don't. And unless I do, I am not going to help in electing a leader who might actually be doing more bad than good for the country. And that's why I won't vote. Enough said.

4 comments:

Shahrukh Saeed said...

a very true one, once again...as u're talkin bout the politcians' status of your country, i wanna tell tht the politicians of my country, Pakistan are also the same. infact as far as i think is tht all politicians throughout the world, they juss want power to earn money xcept for a few of them who really work for the beterment of 'their people'...'their people', this is wht a political leader should think. that these r my ppl, i they hav rights ova me.. i m here to serve them n they hav chosen me for their betterment.
a politician's duty is to use his rights on the govt to work for his people. his duty is to blow away the problems of his people. but nowadayz, a politician is considered to b the most eligible figure in the world of corruption. his only aim is to earn the maximum money in the minimum time. and tht money is for sure, illegal...
he, instead of startin projects for the advancements in infrastructure, n making advancements in the country or even his specific region, he juss sits n eats up all the money...
bieng on a post of salary of around 25 or maximum 35k rupees he moves aroung in a crore rupees' car, lives in a 10 crore rupee' house n lives a lyfstyle of a king, having several foreign currency accounts....
now tht we r havin elections here in pakistan i waz juss goin thru the conditions of the candidates, waz really depressed to c da fact tht we r down in the dungeons...
one of our candidate, had around 40 cases filed, out of those one case waz bout the corruption of aroung 70 crore rupees....(i m talkin round n round cuz i dun wanna specify ne party or person)

wht else can we xpect...

if a certain party doesnt win thn there r riots n fights n loadz of bloodshed...

in these kinda situations, who wud like 2 voe a part or any leader...
i, bieng a 19 yr old, though i dunno much, i dun want any of the candidates to win...
i feel lyk, y dun we liv in a dictatorship??? rather thn living in dis kinda democracy....

Farid Baig said...

shahrukh dude-i agree with most of ur points but the last 1. Beleive me-democracy is any day better than dictatorship. We have seen what dictatorship can do countries and to the dictator themselves. Power is a thing, which if u hv for too long u start beleiving that its urs only and that u r some kind of God among men!!Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini-they all suffered from the God complex! Each 1 started out thinking they will help their nation but sooner or later all of them started believing that only they could be right. And when that happens-its our nation that suffers!!

Shahrukh Saeed said...

hey...u're takin it to the wrong side...wht i meant is tht when we talk bout the countries lyk saudi arabia, england n sum others lyk them we come across to c tht they're advancing on a faster pace as compared to us, who tend to live in a democratic country... while talkin bout the US, it is said to follow a forced-democracy...
when we look at those countries' administration, we find out tht they're far better..
their govt is not corrupted, as compared to ours...they advance on a far better pace...

Anonymous said...

excellent! i see that you put up pictures...