Tuesday, January 29, 2008

An Amalgam of Views!!

It's easy to start a blog. But it's an altogether different thing to keep updating it regularly. So far I have been good at that. 8 articles in 2 weeks isn't a bad start. I have seen blogs where 8 articles have been psoted in an entire year so by that rate I am doing a darn good job. But eventually you do run out of ideas to write about and start thinking-for how long can I go on at this?

Luckily for you my avid readers, I am a very sensitive being. I take most of the things to heart and feel very strongly about most issues. I always have an opinion irrespective of what the topic is and usually I am not shy to share those opinions. Not that I am planning to be a revolutionary but I am not afraid to speak my mind. Again it doesn't necessarily mean I call a spade a spade because you would probably find me to be one of the least judgemental people on the planet. While I usually have strong opinions about what's wrong and what's right in our society, I never think that my opinion is necessarily the right one. As I have discussed in pre-marital sex, while I think it's wrong, it doesn't make me think lesser of a person who think it's right. It's a free society and everyone's entitled to their opinions and their beliefs. In one word-I believe in 'democracy.'

For instance, I don't eat pork or drink alcohol as I am a Muslim. Yet I have friends who do one or both of these activites and that in no way makes me think-'what's wrong with these people? Can't they see that they are committing a sin?' It's their choice and I have no right to think lesser of them because they are doing something I don't beleive in. If I did, that would make me a hypocrite and I would like to believe that I am not.

Again, I am totally against the idea of live-in relationships, obviously reflecting from my views on pre-marital sex. Yet one of my best friends sees nothing wrong with it. And why should he? He has been brought up in a different environment compared to mine and his views reflect the environment he has been brought up in. It doesn't mean that my ubringing is better than his or vice versa or his parents have taught him the wrong moral values, it just means that we believe in a different set of values and as they say-to each his own. I am not going to let that come in the way of our friendship for we find it easy to get along irrespective of our moral codes. Yes we have had huge debates on the topic but it's been no different that me having a debate with a United fan over who's the better player-Christiano Ronaldo or Cesc Fabregas.

One fine day me and another friend started a discussion on relationships. As in how you are meant to end up with only one person but is it right to sleep with other people whom you date before you finally meet 'the one.' You obviously can guess what I think on that matter. But what's interesting is the take on people who do believe in sex before marriage. I very aptly told my friend, 'mate-if you believe it's right to sleep with a girl before marriage, then sex can't be exclusive.' Simply because you can never really be sure that this is 'the' person you are going to end up with. Every time you get into a relationship, you get in because you think that person is special and there's always a possibility that this might be the person you would eventually end up with. You don't get into a relationship because you want a quick romp in the sack(ok, some do but in general people don't) but because you believe what you share with that person is something special. And if you are 18 then you ain't exactly thinking of marriage so to presume that you should sleep only with that one person-that's just being plain naive. Because at 18 if you are thinking-'oh, i am going to marry this girl so it's alright to sleept with her', then well-you are looking at a crystal ball which doesn't exist. So if you believe there's nothing wrong with pre-marital sex, then sex can't be exclusive-simple as that.

Ofcorse that's my side of the debate. If you believe in the exclusivity of sex, that that's your opinion and I have total respect for it. Ofcorse-you will have to justify why you believe so but whatever your views, it doesn't make you a better or lesser person than someone with a totally oppsite spin on things. As I said-to each his own.

1 comment:

Shahrukh Saeed said...

hey dude!!! a very nice progress...8 articles in two weeks... one cannot do anything better than this!!!
while coming to the topic, as always i totally agree with your opinion, that every single person on earth, has his different moral and ethical values. these values cannot be adopted or attained from one another, but they are included in the upbringing of a child by his parents. now every parent teach their child all the values that are made obligatory in their specific religion.
while talking about the religion one can not easily criticize on any other religion. for instance, two persons who are of different creed and who follow different religion cannot assume one another to be higher in status, race or creed or in any aspect of life. this component of a human being is his in-borne uniqueness.
so if one does not possess any right to criticize on the other's religion then he can not say any other thing also because the moral n ethical values of a person mainly comprise of the teachings of his religion.
the only right that one has is that, he can give his comments and opinions and justify them. he can not enforce anyone to agree that it is correct. that is what farid, you said here that you can not proof anyone wrong in his any doing. its his act, and he nows his teachings and values far better than you!!!


i dunno y some fanatics these days are fond of indulging into great arguments about someone's thoughts and believings. i, myself like to respect other persons' view and comments with their justification and do not feel anyone being better or worse than me.